Each year, there are events held in the magnificent nature of Kamikochi.
This year’s lineup is listed below and includes festivals, ceremonies, and field trips.
Events Listing for 2020
- AprKamikochi Opening FestivalEvery spring, about a week after Kamikochi opens to public transit, and official opening ceremony is held to offer prayers for safe passage through the mountains. Many gather at Kappa Bridge to observe the solemn Shinto rites as well as various forms of live entertainment later in the day.
Location: Kappa Bridge
Date: April 27
Start Time: 10:50 a.m.
JulKamikochi Walk RallyEnjoy sightseeing in Kamikochi during the beautiful spring season while collecting stamps from locations around the park.
Date: May 7 to July 5 (2019)
- JunWeston Memorial FestivalThis memorial event features Walter Weston, who introduced the beauty of Kamikochi to the world.
Location: Tokugo Pass- Weston Relief
Date: June 1 (Sat) & June 2 (Sun) (2019)
Start Time: 10:00 a.m.
- June 1 (Sat): Depart for Tokugo Pass
- June 2 (Sun): Festival at Weston Relief
- OctHotaka Shrine Boat FestivalHeld annually at Myojin Pond, the Boat Festival's main ceremony is actually performed on boats sailing across the pond itself. Prayers are offered in thanks for safe passage through the mountains and traditional Japanese music is played live. For anyone looking to mix a bit of culture into a visit to Kamikochi, it offers Shinto Ritual with a uniquely local flavor. The event also strikes an elegant balance between formal ceremony and the colorful pageantry on display in the decorative boats and the clothing of the participants.
Location: Myojin Pond
Date: October 8
Start Time: 11:00 a.m.
- NovKamikochi Closing CeremonyLocation: Kappa Bridge
Date: November 15
Start Time: 11:30 a.m.